Monday 29 August 2011

Lil' Wayne: Tha Carter IV (Album)


''You are more than welcome, to the Carter IV and,
Y’all enjoy it''- Andre 3000

Well, talk about a highly-anticipated album. Fans have been frothing from the mouth since 09 when Wayne  mentioned there was a chance Carter IV was right around the corner.

Double-take. Didn't C3 practically just come out??

Well it ended up taking a few years, surprise surprise. After a shit load of pushbacks, a rock stint, and a jail sentence, it has arrived. Now, to everyone who wants to compare this with Watch The Throne, please don't. Sit back down. Two totally different albums, other ends of the spectrum. Seriously cannot compare the two. Just enjoy both.

Wayne is the ultimate KING of wordplay, and he proves it the whole way through. Almost every single line on this album is a play on words. Your brain begins to hurt after about track five. He's that good.

'Nothing standing in my way, like nothings my security
Back to my journey, that bullshit don’t concern me
I knew I was going to jail I would have fucked my attorney
If you sleeping on me, than I hope you toss and turning
I’m so cold I’m hypothermic, ask yo bitch she will confirm it' 
Lil Wayne (Nightmares Of The Bottom)

I must say, the best part of the album for me was the Andre 3000 feature in 'Interlude' along with Tech N9ne. 3000 is not mentioned in the credits so it's a huge surprise (yeah I ruined it).

It's the simple beats by mostly unknown producers (Willy Will, MegaMan, T-Minus) that make the album, allowing total emphasis on Weezy's sharp lyrics. Simple, hardknock beats. Sometimes there's just nothing better.

The usage of the merry-go-round-style beat in Intro, Outro and Interlude perfectly structures the record, by the end you seriously will be punching walls when you hear Bun B, Nas, Busta's verses in 'Outro'. It's great to hear T-Pain again with Weezy in 'How To Hate', but nothing on their previous collabs. 'Abortion' is another standout, 'Blunt Blowin' grows on you after a few listens, however hold your breath through 'How To Love'... Weezy slips a little here. 'It's Good' is straight fire, Drake drops one of the best verses of the year. And that Jay Z diss. Cold..

'Talkin ’bout baby money? I got your baby money.. Kidnap your bitch, get that ‘how much you love your lady’ money' Lil Wayne (It's Good)

Countless hits on this album, even though its probably not going to be as popular as Tha Carter III (a million first week? I may be wrong, we'll wait and see), Weezy will no doubt add a couple more platinum plaques to his name.

(Literally no genuine youtube links for any songs.. best I could do.)







No comments:

Post a Comment